15 facts about smoking
• 15 facts about smoking
1. At the beginning of the 20th century, pregnant women, not to gain weight, doctors are advised to smoke.
2. In 1588, a resident of Virginia, Thomas Harriet began to promote the daily tobacco smoking as a way to the general improvement of the body. Unfortunately, he soon died of nose cancer.
3. Tobacco bush native to the American continent, it belongs to the same family as the potato and pepper.
4. Chronic bronchitis in smokers is recorded 5-7 times more often than non-smokers. Subsequently, chronic bronchitis and pulmonary emphysema complicated pulmonary fibrosis, diseases, significantly disturb lung function.
5. In the world there are 120 ways of treating tobacco dependence (practically applicable about 40).
6. During 5000 $ 300 left from Internet auction stub cigarettes smoked in the last seconds before New Zealand came into effect a ban on smoking in public places.
7. In 1571, the Spanish doctor Nicolas Mondares wrote a book about the healing plants of the New World. There he wrote that tobacco could cure 36 diseases.
8. The main reason for high prevalence of smoking - this for some time hidden destructive effect of smoking, which creates an impression of his seemingly harmless.
9. Tobacco smoke contains more than 3,000 chemical compounds, some of which are carcinogenic, that is capable of damaging the genetic material of cells and cause cancer growth. 10. 10% of smokers become ill and subsequently die from malignant tumors (among smoked more than 20 cigarettes per day - 20%).
11. Smoking significantly enhances the effect of human exposure to other harmful factors. For example, if you regularly consume alcohol, but not smoking, the risk of developing cancer of the mouth, larynx and esophagus is increased by 2-3 times, then consuming the same amount of alcohol and active smokers - already more than 9 times.
12. Smokers sick myocardial infarction in 2-8 times more often than non-smokers. Thus smokers are 3-4 times more likely to die suddenly from coronary heart disease in the background seems to be a normal state of health.
13. 95% of smokers after myocardial infarction immediately quit smoking. Do not need no lectures, no persuasion, patients are free to decide.
14. In 1965, prohibits television advertising of tobacco products in the UK (it would take 40 years to come to this Russian).
15. After a long competition with "Coca Cola" brand name "Marlboro" recognizes the most expensive brand among the goods of daily demand in the eighties and nineties. It is estimated at $ 30 billion.