• ocean Airport
Airport in the Maldives is located on an artificial island in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
We have been in the Maldives in transit, so that the continuation of advice on how to spend the day in this sweltering country. And is there such a "paradise", as they say rave reviews.
The airport is situated on Hulhule Island, near the capital of Maldives - Malé. The country's largest and only international airport is different because it is located on a long and narrow island and the runway begins and ends right on the water.
The airport was opened October 19, 1960. The first runway (914 by 22 meters) was paved with steel plates. In May 1964 Male government decided to replace the cover on the asphalt. Removal of the old coating was conducted in four groups of locals which competed for prize 1000 Maldivian Rufiyaa.
The new runway was opened on April 12, 1966. November 11, 1981, the airport was inaugurated under the name "Malé International Airport." July 26, 2011 the airport is officially called "Ibrahim Nasir International Airport" in honor of the second president of the country.
The main terminal for international flights:
Maldives - Muslim country and entry into the island of alcohol is strictly prohibited, all luggage is scanned for about this:
At the airport free Wi-Fi, a pleasant surprise a very cute children's room:
How is transport organized in the Maldives? You arrive at the Male International Airport, then you will be transferred to the islands: if you sail close - it will be a boat.
Sam Male - a sea cargo port, cargo ships there too:
If the aircraft flies at night, the only way out - it's a hotel. Too expensive - right next to the airport, and a budget - in Male or Hulhumale Island. This "Doni" - passenger boats, which go from the island of Hulhule in the very capital of Male:
If your island is far away - there you take a seaplane one of two companies - Maldivian Air Taxi or Transmaldivian, domestic terminal is on the other side of the island, next to the buses here are awaiting international:
Here's domestic terminal and parking seaplanes:
The road runs along the perimeter of the island, at the edge of the runway and takeoff-landing aircraft travel is blocked:
Our bus stopped ...
... to miss the landing aircraft from Doha:
Maldives, officially the Republic of Maldives - a country in South Asia, located on the atolls of the group in the Indian Ocean, located to the south of India. It's all taken very compact ...
Male, Maldives capital, composed of 5 regions, four of which are located on Male island, and five - to Vilingile island. Population - 100 thousand people.. This is one of the most densely populated cities in the world by the ratio of the number of inhabitants to the total area:
Insufficient amount of land entailed removal of oil tanks on separate islands and prisons, from which, of course, will not be able to escape. The capital of the island and the resort - two big differences. Ordinary Muslim Asian city and the rule of luxury resorts on the islands.
Here are views of the island of Male, the airport:
A separate island-storage unit:
And now the lyrical ...
We were able to make a free stopover in the Maldives on the road (up to 24 hours) or $ 100 a stop for more than 24 hours. It is important that our main course was a very good price, just like the Maldives cheap not fly. And so I started to choose where to spend 1-2 nights, but found that the cost of the night ranges from $ 180-200 to infinity. Often only included breakfast and dinner, the restaurant will cost from $ 50 per person ... and there is no alternative - it's an island!
My search led to:
1. Surrounding the cheapest of the island resorts (!):
- Bandos Island (10 minutes by speed boat). Boat - $ 50 round-trip, room with breakfast and dinner $ 180.
- Paradise Island (30 minutes by speed boat). Boat - $ 80 room with breakfast - $ 170. In the opinion of all the islands is very expensive, so the "breakfast only" - another $ 50 for dinner in a restaurant.
- Fun Island (40 minutes by boat) - mediocre reviews, and photos, $ 150 for the room + $ 100 per boat.
Bottom line: this day have I poured in the 500-600 dollars. Option was dropped.
I do not beachgoers and what to do there for more than 1 day on a small island - can not imagine. Personally, I will be sad and boring. But it IMHO.
2. Written off with three local tour agencies to issue "for 5-6 hours to drive to one of the closest ostorovov and return to the airport." A request from 150 to 300 dollars for this person.
3. deducted from Bandos Island (the closest) for "just swim to them for 40 dolaarov". Very sluggish wrote that "the boat must be combined with the other passengers," and so on. D. Understand that these clients do not need them. Though - $ 40 for 10 minutes on the boat!
4. As a result, we decided to go swim at the public beach on Hulhumale Island - is connected to the airport and nearby ostorov, he is now being built, there on the shore there are a couple of simple low-cost hotels. Taxi cost to $ 1 to go 10 minutes. Hotel reception "Fuanna Inn" on the island of Hulhumale, where we had dinner, room it costs 50 dollars, a great dinner on the rooftop terrace for just $ 6!
As a result, bought on an excellent beach. BUT! The heat, the scorching equatorial sun do not like it at all. And the pictures, yes, looks good. Maldives - a luxury brand, nothing more. I was in Southeast Asia, there are all the same, the same island, but for the right price to fit any budget.
Here you can write that I was not "just-on-that-paradise-island-on-Maldives" ... yes, there was not, but perfectly imagine that paying a lot of money, I get the same snow-white beach with prickly bottom of broken coral, corny palm trees, scorching sun, dull pool, snorkeling in a questionable form of at least some entertainment.
The island is small, it is nothing but white sand, palm trees and turquoise sea. And friends will groan then ... "You were in the Maldives" :) So, my result is - the world is so interesting and varied that all worth trying, but to idolize popular brand "paradise of the Maldives" are unlikely.
Maldives from above could not take off nicely, as the flight was evening and the sun was already low enough for good aerial photography:
These are the Maldives for 1 day :) By the way, the Maldives are gradually fading into the water, there is a forecast that in 10 years the island will flood completely.