100 facts about Dubai through the eyes of Russians
1. On arrival in Dubai, at the airport, you have to pass a retinal scan, that is, if you were deported and replaced by a passport and even a nationality, you will not save it from the secondary deportation.
2. Passport to carry optional visa, too, if you do not get into trouble, the documents no one you can not check. But there is practically no illegal, although one woman told me that I lived there for 4 years without a visa and worked as a maid.
3. If you were in Israel in your passport has an Israeli visa, then you will not be allowed into the country.
4. The climate is very hot and humid, summer temperatures are around 50 and 90 percent humidity, especially unbearable in the evening, due to the air-conditioning in buildings windows fog up on the outside. In late autumn, winter and early spring climate is quite mild, but still moist.
5. In the fall and spring 1-2 days it rains, sometimes heavy, and thunderstorms, due to the fact that on the roofs and in the streets is simply no sewage, the city simply gets stuck in traffic and dramatically increases the number of accidents. Water flows from the ceiling. But the water quickly goes into the sand, or it is evacuated, it is faster and cheaper than building drains.
6. About the water from the ceiling construction quality for the most part not very good build quickly and easily. Dubai - a city construction site, the youngest metropolis with the longest coastline in the world, about 80 kilometers, it stretches along the coast.
7. In Dubai, problems with water and electricity in particular, is not enough at all, it happens that the house was built is not put into operation because it has not connected to communications. Because of this, utilities are expensive. To solve this problem, build nuclear power plants.
8. Air conditioning is everywhere, even at bus stops, in the summer and transitions to move from shop to shop, or on cars with air conditioning.
9. Dubai - is a place where everything is temporary, all those who come here - come to make money and leave. While some are delayed for a long time. 10. Because of all the entire attitude as temporary, something special no one cares about what will be after him, because of this, after leaving rented apartments are often in a terrible state. Homeowner before putting a new customer is obliged to put everything in order: Standard - white walls, serviceable plumbing, gas stove and set in the kitchen.
11. The cost of housing depends not only on location but also on the type of window. The view is better, the more expensive.
12. Being a tourist in Dubai and work while living there - two different things. They are two sides of the same coin.
13. If you think that you are in heaven, and then earn a lot of money, then you are deeply mistaken, of course, if you are not super popular expert in your field, but in this case you will find a place anywhere.
14. According to various estimates, up to 90% of the population of Dubai - is coming workforce, over the years, this percentage varies.
15. In this regard, most of the conversation of two strangers begin to find out where they came from, and it is - the universal excuse to start a conversation.
16. Apply for normal functioning hard companies try to collect only the best shots, sometimes the competition reaches a few dozen people to the position.
17. The term of the contract - 2 years (used to be 3), during this period is not accepted to change the contract terms and the size of the salary.
18. After the crisis (and in general) companies try to use cheap labor wherever possible. The salary that usually pay one European to hire more Indians - cheap and cheerful. This is especially prevalent in the IT-sector.
19. In general, Indians, Filipinos and Pakistanis agree to work for a few hundred dollars a month, and they manage somehow to rent, eat and still send money home.
20. Often, they live in an apartment or villa for a few dozen people, in general, it is prohibited, and police raids periodically arranges then in such houses cut off electricity and water, and the guests have to find a new home. 21. All the greatness and prosperity of Dubai is built on cheap labor, international human rights organizations have criticized Dubai for this for many years, but it does not bring any results.
22. The law is constructed so that all but the citizens - disenfranchised work force, in the event of any conflict, you simply deported, sometimes after his release in a few months in a local prison.
23. In this respect, all are equal, the rules are the same for all, you are tied to your employer for a visa is tied to your place of work, lose your job - and lose a visa, change jobs is very difficult - you need to make visa and transfer to your current employer let you go with the world.
24. If you have worked in the company less than a year, in cases of dismissal you can legally hold two monthly salaries as a penalty or slapped the ban - a ban on the job for six months. This is a basic rule, which is used by employers and so it is easy to lose a visa. But if you go to work in the public sector, all the easier.
25. In general, work in the public sector is highly valued because of the conditions and a good benefits package, insurance and salary. Easier to change jobs and more opportunities for career growth.
26. Do employees often take a passport under the pretext of "the preservation", and instead issued a local ID card with maps persistent problems, they must renew every year and are constant delays in the issuance.
27. There follows a general distribution of occupations: Indians and Pakistanis - the so-called black labor - builders, cleaners, couriers, drivers, to a lesser extent the fishermen and sellers in grocery stores; Filipinos, Bangladeshis, Chinese - maids and cleaners in hotels, domestic servants; Russian, Ukrainian and other immigrants from the CIS and Eastern Europe - the sellers in large shopping centers, administrators in hotels and spas, waiters in restaurants, shop in the duty free, administrative and office workers of the lower and middle management; immigrants from Europe, the USA and other developed countries - the so-called white-collar workers, financial sector employees, managers and senior executives; Well, close the list of the citizens of the United Arab Emirates - is usually public sector employees and senior executives. 28. The legislation led to any company, the so-called CEO, should be a local Arab-citizen, or do not give a license to conduct business. Often it is fraught with not very good consequences, because the boss just prefer to get paid and do nothing.
29. In general, every company must have a certain percentage of workers from the local population, and the more such workers in the company, the better, but very often fulfill the conditions required by the number of very difficult, because the local population simply does not have the necessary personnel.
30. The working week starts from Saturday, off Friday and Thursday afternoon.
31. Also output are all religious holidays and 1st of January, although the New Year is celebrated formally.
32. During the religious fasting Ramadan to everyone, even to foreigners and non-Muslims are prohibited from eating and drinking in the streets until the sun goes down, you can do it at home or in a very few restaurants whose windows are sealed tight, so as not to offend the sensibilities of fasting. For the violation - a fine, if you become a repeat infringer, you simply deported.
33. During the period of fasting until sunset city freezes, even the subway starts later, and the working day is shifted towards the night.
34. Convenience Stores very, very little, everything closes at 11pm. Even the pharmacies are not all work at night.
35. Local Arabs - a leisure class, many simply do not need to work, each man receives monthly benefit of about 2 thousand dollars, can learn in any university of the world at the expense of the state and other social amenities and state.
36. In all the time that I spent there, I've seen very few elderly people, this is due to the fact that if you are over 50, you do not give a visa to work. All the elderly - are tourists or local Arabs, whose minority. I read somewhere that the average age of living in Dubai - 29 years. 37. Vegetation All artificial and grass and trees in the desert does not grow anything except some obscure mangy shrubs, well, actually, it is the fact and the desert.
38. The cost of a single palm tree - about ten thousand dollars. One friend, avoiding collision with the run across the road in the wrong place Hindu, crashed into a palm tree, had to pay. The police tipped him casually that it was necessary to push Indian, would be cheaper to work out.
39. Indians really problems with hygiene, but at the same time, they poured and spread on yourself tons of gel, cheap toilet water and other cosmetics. The stores on this occasion a huge amount of cosmetics for men and cheap toilet water. Indians still working caste system, and usually the lighter the skin, the higher is your caste, and so there are a large number of bleaching creams and other means.
40. Desert impressive real desert begins somewhere after 50 kilometers from the shore, when the end bushes and begin the endless sands, this should be a must-see.
41. The color of sand in each emirate your in Dubai sand is orange.
42. In most of the city really safe and you can not be afraid of the local police, for the most part they are polite and courteous. But who lives there for a long time said that before it was even quieter. During my stay there I was so used to it that immediately paid upon return.
43. In case of any problems with the law, when you try to negotiate you'll get even more problems.
44. Alcohol is not easy to buy enough and it costs dearly, for a drunken brawl, you can go to jail. Although hotels and restaurants with the purchase no problems.
45. Since there are no problems with cigarettes, smoking is allowed only on the street, hookah smoking is widespread.
46. publicly rude gesture or a curse can get a fine or go to jail. Fight also is not recommended. Therefore, everyone is trying to be as polite to the last. In case of conflict of rights is usually the first one to declare the police. 47. Adopted on any occasion to knock the police, is particularly fond of the Indians do, it is strongly encouraged.
48. Equipment of the police-the-art, cars mainly BMW, a lot of jeeps.
49. Officially, if a man and a woman is not married, they are not allowed to live together and even to rent an apartment together, but many still live, although sometimes check or homeowner can squeal. The penalty - a fine or a month in prison and deportation. Although this happens very rarely.
50. Generally, the contrast in this regard is very high, on the street you can find the local women in veils and tourists passing by in a mini-shorts with a neckline to the navel. Though so walking is not recommended, and may be fined, but the threshold of tolerance towards tourists is quite high.
51. As in any Arab country, there is a division by gender, although in Dubai from local women with this less of a problem, at least compared with neighboring Saudi Arabia - the earth and sky.
52. Polygamy is allowed, but the modern Arabs are gradually moving away from this - expensive :)
53. Open-dressed, and just a beautiful lonely girl running European can easily start to whistle and shout from passing cars. If an offer from a local Arab ride, lady agrees and gets in the car - it is perceived unambiguously.
54. For women in the buses there is a separate section, a separate carriage on the subway, there is even a taxi only for women. Optionally, strictly observe this division, but many women, once having passed in the general subway and feeling for yourself hungry glances Indians for many months not seeing their wives happy to move to a female coach.
55. Metro automatically, without a driver, first of its kind in the world. Only 2 branches, red and green. The first car - luxury, gold class ticket costs 2 times more expensive. Ticket price depends on the duration of the trip. 56. For the metro, buses and some kinds of water transport there is a single payment card, it is necessary to apply it to the sensor at the beginning and end of the trip, the funds will be withdrawn, depending on the length.
57. Nevertheless, the main way to get around - it's a personal car or taxi. Buses and the metro go far from everywhere.
58. The machine is easy and cheap to buy, in the neighboring emirate of Sharjah has a large car market. But to take away the car with him will be very expensive, high taxes and fees.
59. Used car until you usually have several owners and have a decent run, expensive and low-quality service. With spare parts is no problem. Drinking machine complies, they do not cherish and do not particularly care for them.
60. The Arabs lead just awful and rude, especially the youth, blinking lights, trimmed on the road, there is no respect at all.
61. Accidents much, but as we have cops waiting for no one, by law you have to clean your car off the road as quickly as possible, or it will be a very heavy fine.
62. If you are a tourist, it is possible to ride under international law, if a resident - that you need to get the right Dubai. You need to go to a driving school and learn from scratch, take exams, and all this regardless of your experience. This is another way to cut the state loot from the visitors, the total cost of obtaining the rights of about $ 2,000.
63. Penalties for violation of the rules of large, especially for exceeding the speed limit in the city is full of cameras, but on freeways all go, but who can. All penalties usually have to pay during the passage of the annual re-registration of cars. Situation, when some Arab pays tens of thousands of dollars in fines - not uncommon, but they are not steamed.
64. The speed limiter - 120 kilometers per hour. Roads are not just good, they were perfect, but the country is such that the asphalt ends abruptly and goes on a dirt road - not yet had time to build. 65. Traffic lights a little, mostly isolation, traffic light intervals compared to our long and allowed to turn right on red, as a rule, there is a special congress.
66. Petrol expensive, the price of diesel fuel is simply space, by several hundred percent more expensive than gasoline. Import of diesel passenger cars is prohibited, and it only works construction machinery, which is owned by construction firms, thus, the state cuts with their extra money.
67. Dubai is divided into 2 parts of the narrow extended Gulf - Dubai Creek. Old Town - Deira Dubai and the new town of Bur Dubai. Many tourists call this bay channel, but it is fundamentally wrong.
68. The water in the Gulf due to heavy traffic is very dirty and the heat just stinks.
69. The move from one bank to another within 5 minutes in an open boat - Abreu just 1 dirham (about 8 rubles).
70. The entire coast of so-called old town of Deira - is a solid port, small commercial vessels are in several rows, loading and unloading of goods is carried out round the clock.
71. Russian tourists most of all it is in Deira, rent a house there are cheaper and there are more cheap shops, a lot of signs in Russian. There is a quarter where they sell fur coats and fur, if you go and say in Russian - to you immediately run up barkers and offer their wares.
72. Deira are several world-famous sites, in particular, a gold souk and spice market, a smooth transition to another. Generally, Deira - is a huge market consisting of hundreds and thousands of small shops. But the goods are quite monotonous.
73. You can trade and you just need to go, you can bring down the price by 30-40% and trade will be with you as long as you do not pass the lower bar, and you will lose interest and start all over again.
74. Tourists in the markets is very deceiving bag of spices on the market can cost several times more expensive than the grocery, the same quality. 75. Since gold is the same story - the price can throw very significantly.
76. Most of the gifts, as usual, made in China and is expensive, this Dubai souvenir - a sand in a glass frame, in the form of a picture, or an hourglass.
77. There is still a fish market, which can be found not only by location but also by smell, but if you're just a tourist, there is nothing special to do, just stinks from head to toe.
78. Russian tourists behave, as elsewhere in the world, and immediately stand out from the crowd: thick aunt in dimensionless T-shirts with giant bags running around the Deira and buying up all the cheap shops, men in hats, flip-flops and sweat pants, in general, , our visible at once.
79. If you need to buy, for example, only the cud in front of you will stand all with full shopping carts, if you politely ask, you will miss. Once I ran into a Russian peasant, tourist and was sent away three-story mat.
80. Your favorite entertainment from the Arabs - to drive a jeep over sand dunes and create chaos on the roads, on the same YouTube is full of clips of it.
81. If you are not a tourist, the entertainment is really quite monotonous. Basically, they all go to the mall (huge shopping center), where you can spend the whole day - shopping, restaurants, cinemas. I once asked an Arab family, what do you do on weekends - we go to the mall, and that on holidays - also go to the mall, and the day of birth, where cope - but also at the mall.
82. In the nightclubs are usually a lot of people, a lot of music, I do not even know how to call it, it's just stupid to cut the most popular hits of the most popular moments, seconds at 40. For example, the music plays, then abruptly, without any transition - again and the other, and the crowd screams for it and sausages. Clubs poprestizhnee afford to invite stars and world-class DJ's in these days there is not overcrowded. Face control is strict, but mainly on the basis of age, all checking passports, and if you are under 21, - you will not miss. Alcohol is sold freely in clubs. 83. In the clubs full of gay men and prostitutes, only there they can act openly. Generally, when meeting people in clubs not shy, all there for the same time and come, in general, corruption is flourishing :)
84. Internet in Dubai slow. One provider, state, connects via a telephone line using ADSL technology. But at this time they are very actively stretch the fiber optic network throughout the city, so the situation will soon change for the better. Also there is strict censorship, for example, there is available a social network VKontakte, because of the presence of a large number of pornographic content. Mobile internet is also bad and also expensive.
85. Cellular expensive, even within the operator's network. Widespread have the Blackberry services.
86. Skype is officially banned, because of its use of a fine, but they are, in spite of everything. The architecture of Skype is that it seeps through any restrictions on service providers, the only way - to cut off the entire Internet in general, and in this regard, the only thing that managed to achieve the authorities - do not work with Skype calls to regular phones.
87. Torrent can swing freely anything. Kaspersky Anti-Virus are available at any computer store :)
88. The press is also present strict censorship.
89. In general, all government is evil, lurking and hiding in every possible way. In Dubai, the world's image of a tropical tourist paradise with class shopping, but few know about the camps in which the workers live, which was strictly forbidden to appear in the city. Several times the workers trying to form unions and to strike, all very cruelly suppressed by the police.
90. In Dubai, do not need to pay taxes, which is why many wealthy people live there, and do business.
91. There are a few special free economic zones, where there are offices of all the major corporations of the world. 92. The address system is different from, and find something for the first time is quite difficult to have adopted, no house numbers on major streets. Each building has its own name. Therefore, it happens that taxi drivers novices themselves poorly oriented and can bring you to the wrong place.
93. The food of sufficient quality and very tasty, if we compare the metros, it is better than in Moscow. The state strictly monitors the quality of products. the cost of food - cheaper than in Moscow, much more. Probably because of the peculiarities of the national cuisine, or the specifics of the preparation of many gain weight.
94. The kitchen is very diverse, the entire Arab world is well represented, as China and India. European restaurants too, but I have not been there.
95. Generally, such a thing as a "cafe" is not there any eatery is a proud sign "restaurant". Global fast food chains are also widely available, the menu changed to suit local customs and requirements. The restaurants servings are huge, you can safely eat together.
96. Those fruits that usually bring in Russia, and which seem to us the plastic out there, on the contrary delicious and juicy, I just sat down on the pineapple, they cost a penny there, and familiar to us apples and strawberries are disgusting. Raspberry costs about $ 10 per 100 grams.
97. Among the Arabs popular gyms and use supplements to build muscle. Accordingly, full of shops selling goods data. Although thick, too many Arabs.
98. Cheap shopping in Dubai - only during sales and shopping festival in February, during the rest of everything is expensive, especially in shopping centers, though full of shops with cheap clothes, but the quality is appropriate.
99. There are whole network of cheap shops with all sorts of things, food, clothing and household goods, the only general in their title - the word Gift (gift, a gift). In these stores, and settles the majority of Russian tourists on a par with the Indians. 100. Health, education, schools and kindergartens, and indeed the entire scope of services is very expensive, for example, the kindergarten will cost 2500-3000 dollars a month. English courses 2000-2500 dollars a month, with a tutor at home around 4000.