St. Mary's Island - a former stronghold of the pirates
• Island of St Mary - a former stronghold of the pirates
In XVII-XVIII centuries, shipping was not as safe as it is today: in addition to the weather sailors, depending on the route chosen, it could be expected to clash with pirates. Pirates, buccaneers, marauders - a ship at sea was the only purpose of their activities, and eventually they learned to rob them as true professionals. And in order to rest on the ground and not get caught the other marauders, pirates settled on the island.
As its "base" Pirates chose the island of St. Mary. However, it is now it is the name, and up to 1731 it did not exist on any map. In 1731, the outlines of the islands first appeared on navigable circuits near the capacious marked "Pirate Island".
Pirates chose their base rather boldly - very close to the island was a trade route to India, so it is not necessary to travel far for prey. Plus, the island itself, which lasted just 7 kilometers from the coast of Madagascar, from the sea could be seen as part of Madagascar, rather than a single piece of land. In addition, the island had a large number of bays in which ships could hide - even now you can see their remains at the bottom of a relatively far from the shore.
The island of St. Mary on the map.
Now the island of Saint Mary is a tourist center - come here for diving, an incredibly beautiful nature, coral reefs and the wonderful weather. And then, at the end of the XVII century, there were resting pirates - shared the loot, feasts and buried their comrades.
According to the legend, a local town called Ambodifotatra hide such famous pirates like William Kidd, Robert Kalliford and Olivier Le Vasseur. And perhaps some of them just buried somewhere here an incredible treasure - at least this legend the locals willingly supports - it attracts not only tourists, but also eager to find a wealth of pirates.
Each group of pirates on the island had its own piece of land where they built themselves huts and where the rest. Each pirate vessel had its own flag, which they are proud of and that has been their hallmark over the sea. But they are all equally share the benefits of the island - a meal that was prepared by the locals, and the local women.
The captains of pirate ships also preferred to separate rest - they are usually settled on a tiny island, located in the center of the bay of the island of St. Mary - a kind of island in the island. Now he wears a plain name Pirate Island. Here, in this bay, there is still wreckage visible corsair ships.
"Pirate's Paradise" lasted about a hundred years, and the most active it was used by pirates from 1691 by 1719. Here were buried, some of the pirates. Cemetery pitched on a hill, which offers views of the ocean. The locals even say that it is the burial of famous pirate William Kidd - under a huge black stove. In fact, the famous pirate arrested, executed and buried in England May 23, 1701 - and there are a lot of evidence. But the legend is a legend. It is all the more romantic and realistic, as in the Bay of the Pirates and the truth still lies one of the ships of William Kidd - Now this ship is one of the main attractions of the island.